You meet someone at an event. There's a spark with lethal amperage. All of a sudden, despite your age, sex, experience and dignity, you being to act like a teenage girl, crushing on the boy sitting in front of you in roll call. You chat, giggle, blush, the spark becoming an attraction that makes you want to throw up. You hope and pray that someone has developed an App that can stop time. No such luck. Event is over. Digits are divulged. You hope that you haven't been given the rejection hotline (0419 317 446 - NB: I googled. Not received). Quick Facebook stalk in the cab on the way home... Then the games begin. You ask yourself life's big questions. Will he/she call? When? Should I be the one to call? No? Yes? When? Do you think he/she liked me? Another Facebook stalk... maybe he/she updated their status... "I met the person of my dreams last night"..... No such luck. Then... the phone makes some kinda of musical-vibratey-noise. "Mum... I can't talk right now... Mum I'm waiting for a very important phone call... I'll e-mail you...Bye" Quick... check that call waiting is activated. Oh phew. Ok it's been 14 hrs 56 mins and 27 secs. My death is impending. Ring damnit. Heaven on earth the phone rang. Then... the fatal grammatical error... "What are youse doin on Saturday... How's dinner and drinks sound?" You remember you have to wash your hair. O V E R .
1. Moisturise every day, everywhere There is no excuse for dehydrated, scaly skin. It's terrible to look at and worse to touch.
2. Stop talking Apparently 75% of oral communication is ignored, misunderstood or quickly forgotten. If you don't shut your mouth, you may as well wave goodbye to the last 25% too.
3. Get out of your work clothes It is important to separate your hectic, stressful schedule at work from home. Invest in some lounge wear, turn off your Blackberry and close the office door. Both physically and metaphorically.
4. If you said Yes (or No), then mean that. We are all entitled to a change of mind or excused due to dire circumstances but too often we RSVP to an event, a phone call or a promise, and never come through. Do your best... be reliable.
5. The world might explode. All opportunities are worth a little exploration time. Things aren't always what they seem and they can be what you make them. Take the opportunity today because it might not be on offer tomorrow.
6. Create your signature. A cravat is a little extreme but all know who I am talking about... ! Make yourself memorable... just don't let an oversize hanky define you.
7. If they aren't on your level, find those who are. Surround yourself with people who motivate you, make you smile and who you can relate to. I'm not advocating a friendship cull. Certain people can and will lift you... find them.
8. Go to sleep. A few hours here and there won't keep you operating at your highest potential. Shut your eyes, switch off and get in your minimum 7 hours. See what happens....
9. Find your pump up song. Crank it. Sing it. For all I care invent yourself a little dance... but bring on the endorphins.
10. First thing in the morning... Open your eyes... and smile. It will change your outlook and change your life.